Tuesday, May 31, 2011

An Uninvited Guest...


I knew I’d be bad at this whole blogging thing… however I must admit that there isn’t that much interesting stuff to talk about during training.  This past weekend was really nice.  On Friday, I invited my sobrinos Rony (14) and Jonatón (5) to help me bake peanut butter cookies.  After I made them thoroughly wash their hands, I told them the measurements, and let them do all the work.  We only had a cake pan to bake them on, so we had to make about seven batches of four cookies at a time.  Even though the oven wouldn’t really get hot enough, the cookies turned out great!  Peanut butter cookies don’t really exist here, but the new taste was very well received.  Also, while the cookies were baking, I pulled out my computer, and my nephews got a chance to talk to my dad on skype.  Rony is learning a new song in English class, and he sang it to my dad.  It was really cute.

On Saturday, the whole training group went to a traditional Mayan religious ceremony at the ruins of Iximche, in the department of Chimaltenango.  Interestingly enough, I participated in the same ceremony when I was here in 2008.  Nevertheless, it was very interesting, and I understood much more of it because my Spanish is much better now than it was back then.  We then had some time to explore the ruins, which was really nice because we don’t get much time to socialize with the trainees in the other training program (there are 15 in my youth development group and 37 in the healthy homes group).  We drove home through a torrential rain storm, and then I stayed in the rest of the evening because I’ve been sick on and off for three weeks, and I was feeling kinda gross.

 A Couple Scenes from the Mayan Ceremony at Iximche

Sunday was a lazy day.  Most of my family went to the coast to pick mangoes, and my host mom and I had the day together.  After breakfast we washed dishes together for almost an hour, and then she taught me how to do my laundry!  It was definitely one of those moments where I felt like a complete gringa.  I was trying to conserve water, but clearly that wasn't the goal.  Once I figured that out, I was on a roll and I really enjoyed being able to do it myself.  I still didn’t feel well all day Sunday, and didn’t really eat anything.

Yesterday (Monday), I woke up to find that I was really sick, and super dizzy because I haven’t eaten much for the past couple of weeks.  I spoke with the Peace Corps office, and decided that I’d lay low for the day, and wait to see the doctor on Tuesday, since I go to the office on Tuesdays anyway.  I went into the office today, and although we don’t yet know exactly what I have, it seems like it’s some sort of parasite.  The Guatemalan parasite diet has resulted in me losing ten pounds in the past three weeks.  The good news is that, to gain the weight back, I plan on eating a bunch of ice cream when I’m feeling better.
On Monday I leave for a week of field-based training (FBT), and after that I only have five weeks of training left!  It’s amazing how time flies during training.  That’s all I have to report for now, but I’ll try to post again before I leave for FBT.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I'm finally following you! And from what I read.. I'm wondering if that pool didn't contribute to your uninvited parasite guests? eeewww! I think of you often and want to visit you even more! Although, I do not want anything to do with the parasite thing. I suppose that you will build up an immunity or something? I'm glad you did this blog and I hope that you feel better very soon. When I was in Medellin, I met a lovely gal from Santa Domingo. She said it was wonderful.. she lives in Bogata, now. Take care, girl!

    ReplyDelete